Instant Upgrade: DIY TV Stand Doors
We all have it. That piece of furniture that we hate, but can’t part with because it’s an essential piece. It’s either too big, too small, an eye sore, worn down, or just doesn’t fit with your space. For me, it’s the TV Stand. Given that I’m still fairly young and don’t have pockets of cash to spend on the mid century tv stand of my dreams, I use a hand-me-down one. I am all for reusing and recycling, but the TV stand has always been a pretty big eyesore for me. I’ve never liked the look of too many wires hanging about, or multicoloured DVD’s being on display. After nearly two years of looking at the TV stand day after day, I finally figured out a way to make it look 100 times better (in my opinion). Enter DIY TV Stand Doors.
This tutorial won’t necessarily apply to everyone, but try and use it as inspiration to find a way to fix something in your home that you don’t like. However, if you have a TV stand that has sliding doors, feel free to partake and upgrade your current set up!
The TV Stand is an IKEA product with light birch wood and grey legs. Not horrible, but the sliding doors are missing. Thus, all the DVD’s, wires and video game consoles are just out in the open. It always irked me because it just looks messy and has no style. I like things to be organized and neatly tucked away so that the space doesn’t feel cluttered. The TV Stand came with doors though, so it already had tracks just waiting for new doors to be installed!
I don’t know why I didn’t think of making DIY TV Stand Doors before, but I’m so glad I finally realized how to do it. The process is actually quite easy and inexpensive! Plus, it saves me the anxiety of having to look at clutter every day 🙂
DIY TV Stand Doors
- two pieces of Masonite (I got mine from DeSerres and they measured 20 x 24)
- paint ( I chose white acrylic, but if you have the outdoor space, you could use spray paint in any colour of your choice)
- a utility knife
- rubber cutting mat
- steel ruler
- Measure the width and height that you would like your door (aka piece of masonite) to be. Mine were 18 1/4 x 18 3/4 and I needed two pieces. This allowed for the doors to cover the two large portions of the TV stand and leave room for sliding them to get to other areas.
- Draw your measurements onto your masonite. Cut them to the dimensions using your utility knife and steel ruler. Also make sure that you are cutting over your rubber cutting mat!
- Once the pieces have been cut, sand the edges to smooth and level out any bumps.
- Paint your doors in the colour of your choice with 2-3 coats of paint. Allow the paint to dry in between coats.
- Gently bend your masonite to allow it to fit in the tracks of your TV Stand.
- Stand back and admire how AMAZING your TV stand looks now that all that clutter is hidden. Also, breath a sigh of relief and allow a smile of satisfaction to envelop your face.
Finished TV Stand Doors:
For the next few days after I completed this EASY project, I had a smug little grin on my face every time I looked at the TV stand. It looks so much neater now! The OCD tendencies in me have been put to rest now that the clutter is out of sight.
It’s projects like this that make me really happy. They’re simple and easy, and they yield great results!
Do you love how the DIY TV Stand Doors came out?! Let me know what simple upgrades you’re working on in your home! I’d love to hear.